The faceplate had come loose on the drive again and was rubbing against the tape hubs. The first time I tried to repair it I used contact adhesive which looked similar to what was used originally but didn't hold for long. The casting is not smooth so it didn't bond well. This time I used RTV silicon adhesive.
The tape hubs and faceplate are removed showing the friction bushings behind the hubs. When I got the drive originally they had dries oil/grease which prevented the motor from turning freely. If when you turn the hubs by hand they rotate backward after you stop turning then these bushings need cleaning. I used a little light grease on them. For some reason one transport has plastic washers and the other doesn't.
Feel free to contact me, David Gesswein email@example.com with any questions, comments on the web site, or if you have related equipment, documentation, software etc. you are willing to part with. I am interested in anything PDP-8 related, computers, peripherals used with them, DEC or third party, or documentation.
PDP-8 Home Page  PDP-8 Site Map  PDP-8 Site Search